Mika (Part VII)

For those who missed the earlier parts, here are the links
Mika - Part I
Mika - Part II
Mika - Part III
Mika - Part IV
Mika - Part V
Mika - Part VI

"Let's go and see him...", Arun said.

Mika hesitated. "Arun, you go ahead ... my mind will not be at rest until I find out about 'neo'", she said firmly.

Mika and Arun had spent the last few hours asking the locals about anything that struck them about the scanty details that they had about 'neo' - his mail id and that he was a computer geek and that he might not have many friends. But since most of them were already in a state of grief about losing their loved ones or in frantic search for them, Mika and Arun could not garner any useful information. In this place, finding a person whom you knew very well was tough. Talk about finding someone you hardly know anything about!

"Mika, I know that we do have to find 'neo' ... but we do not seem to be making any progress here ... in fact, Amlu's father might help you find out who 'neo' is, since he has been here for quite sometime ..."

"No Arun ... sorry ... I can't leave ... "

"Okay ... no problem .... I will go and meet him and also try to find some information about 'neo' from him ... you continue your search ... keep your cellphone handy ... bye"

-------------------

Arun entered the hospital to see Amlu's grandparents sitting in the lobby. He walked up to them.

"Hello Sir, how is your son?"

"He is fine ... he has some suffered a few fractures ... also he was a little disoriented after the ordeal ... he has been currently sedated to relax and recover ..."

"Where is Amlu?"

"She is sitting beside him inside the ICU ... she has told the doctors firmly that she likes to be next to him ..,"

"Oh ... good ..."

"By the by, did you find anything about the person you had come searching for?"

"Not yet .. We are still searching for him ... "

The grandmother was still crying.

"Why are you still crying, ma? You son is safe now ... "

"Well ... I was just thinking that if not for Amlu, we could never have got all these people to search for my son ... you see, he ... he came away from Chennai to be away from family and friends ... not many were willing to help in searching for him ..."

"Oh ... he doesn't like company?"

"Not exactly .... I actually cannot blame him ... His actions made most of his family and friends desert him ... we too deserted him ... "

"What? You deserted your son?"

"Well, if you were to know what he did ..."

"Mitra ... don't bring that up again ...", the grandfather said firmly. The grandmother quietened up.

"Sorry Arun", the grandfather spoke to Arun "... well I don't want to go through that story all over again .... but you could just take it that Hemanth destroyed our faith ..."

"Oh ...", Arun did not know what to say. He looked down and then looked at the grandmother's hands in which she held a photo of their son Hemanth, Amlu's and a girl who appeared to him as Hemanth's wife.

Arun's eyes suddenly brightened with shock. He pointed at the girl in the photograph.

"Is .. is that Hemanth's wife?"

"Yes ... well.... do you know her? .... ", the grandmother asked seeing Arun's expression.

"Err ... sorry no .... I mistook her for somebody else .... I ... let me be going and see Hemanth". He got up, stumbled a bit and then walked towards the ICU. Then, halfway through his stride, he paused, turned and walked out of the hospital.

--------------------

27th December, 5.30 p.m

Mika called up Arun for the umpteenth time since 5'o clock. There had been no trace of Arun since afternoon. She had called up Amlu's grandparents and they had told her that Arun had left the hospital at around 1 itself. She was beginning to get afraid that something bad had happened. She debated as to whether she should tell her parents about this. They would definitely go hysterical. Just then, her phone rang. It was Arun.

"Arun! what on earth happened to you? I was so worried .... "

"Mika ...", Arun's voice on the other end was very soft and shaky, as though he had been crying.

"Mika, could you come over to the beach .. I am near the boat statue near the end of the beach where we were in the morning."

-----------------

Arun sat with his face buried in his hands. Ever since he had seen her in the photograph, Arun remembered nothing but the last meeting he had with her.

---------------

It had been a regular day at office when his desk phone rang. He picked it up.

"Hello"

"Hello, Arun. I am calling from the reception. There's someone to see you here."

"Oh ... ok ... I am coming there ..". Arun walked up to the lobby. It was a huge hall and lots of people were engaged in conversation. Arun glanced at the receptionist. She pointed to a girl who was sitting in the far corner of the lobby where not many others were seated. The girl was seated with her back to him.

Arun walked to her. She turned as he walked towards her.

The blood froze in his veins as he recognized her. "Oh my god ... what is she doing here!"

She stood up as he walked up to her.

"Afraid to see me?", she smiled sarcastically.

"Dont worry", she continued. "I just came to give you this ... ". She gave him an envelope and walked away.

"But ..... what ....."

--------------------

At the beach, 27th December 5.45 p.m

Arun heard footsteps behind him. He turned to face Mika.

"Mika, I want to tell you about a mistake I made six years ago ..."

-----------------
Mika looked up into Arun's bloodshot eyes. She had just finished reading the letter in an envelope that Arun had handed over to her.

"Mika ... that mistake haunts me ... I have never been able to get over it ... I carry this letter with me wherever I go ....."

Mika looked at the letter again.

"Arun,

For years, every night, your face used to haunt my dreams. I used to wake up every other night chilled to the bones. But slowly a smothering warmth started to pervade. Out of the ever surrounding mist, a form began to emerge, it was a face I had known since childhood. A face that brought a smile to my face every-time I saw it. A face so gentle and reassuring - the face of Hemanth. [I know I have mentioned him a lot to you]

Yes, I live with Hemanth now. As a child cuddling with his favorite pet, he has caressed me through my turmoil without uttering a single word. In fact, his silence has been the hallmark of the faith he has placed in me. Now, God has endowed me with a beautiful girl, a
darling whom I hope never is unfortunate to see her genetic father. She will be Hemanth's for the upbringing.

Today, I came here to tell you that I guess it was God's will that I should suffer so and it was his will again that I realize the ruby right in my backyard. I don't know how to thank Hemanth for his sacrifice. May be, I never will be able to. Today, as some unknown virus tries to make headway into my body, I smile to it to say, "Do your worst! .. I have got whatever I could ever hope for!"

For you Arun, I have just a few words before I bid adieu for ever.



"Keep the faith ..... ever"



Sunitha"


Mika suddenly felt something strike her. Hemanth ... left friends and family ... came here to work alone ...

"Arun, let's go to the hospital to see Hemanth"

Continued at Mika - The Finale

7 comments:

Hemanth said...

Hi jis,
Well, as Anand predicted earlier:), I could not conclude the story in this episode .. otherwise, this would be a very long episode ... but I guess the last scenes require special treatment and hence require a separate episode (gives me breathing time to think :))

Anonymous said...

Dude, i cant believe how small the world is:) - every body links to everybody with an astounding number of steps(six degrees of separation - http://www.andreas.com/faq-barabasi.html). I guess i have to accept it :)

Hey, if we read about regular stuff i huess it wont be a fraction as intersting as this climax(even though we see its recycled form over and over... I guess there is plenty of 'useful life' in these tried and tested climaxes). Waiting for ur version of it.

Hemanth said...

Hey Iris,
I really love your criticism :) .. at the end of reading your every comment .. I get a feeling of whether - is this guy kalasifying me? ;) or is he praising me? ;) .. only after some thought and clarifications[from others] does the meaning hit me :) ... thanks a lot.

Rams said...

U r bringing me to the edge of the chair with every episode...Waiting for the next episode...I really love the way the story is being narrated with the period swtiching between the past and the present.

Hats off to u sir.

none said...

Hi Hemanth,
I had been reading 'Mika' and want to appreciate you for this interesting work of yours.
And also want to confess to you that without your permission, I am using this quote of yours
"True love strikes as disaster does - when you least expect it,
Disaster tests you the same as true love does - when you least want it,
Test do they your faith, upto the last strand,
Face them head on, answered will you be,
The power to believe against all odds,
And that makes all the difference!"
along with my signature in my email. Its a wonderful quote. You are a great writer! Also your post on your grandma was amazing. Hats off to you!

Anonymous said...

Hemanth ji,
U are not the first person to 'wonder' what i am really saying..But to me it is always crystal clear what i say: "just as i see it:)"...
Its upto the one who is addressed to take it in which ever way he/she wants:)
I am glad that you and the one's explaining it to you are making the best of it rather than making the worst of it. I must thank u for that :)

Hemanth said...

Hi all,
Thanks a lot for all the support I am getting for writing. :)
Btw, Poorni, I am really happy that my quotes are actually meaningful to others :)